Thursday, July 12, 2007

Early morning mischief

-Gretchen-

One of the stories that comes to mind about my childhood involves the fact that I was the earliest riser in the house for the first few years of my life. I remember standing beside my parents bed knowing that I wasn't allowed to wake them up and being really hungry for breakfast. I would stare at my dad (I knew better than to bother my mom) and breathe on him until he woke up. This became pretty annoying to my parents so my dad had an idea. Instead of having to be woken up out of a sweet morning sleep why couldn't he leave breakfast out for me the night before? So from that point on (I'm not sure when it stopped) he would leave a little baggy of peanuts and raisins or walnuts on the old fashion black stove that was in the living room. I knew that when I got up I could get my little baggy snack and take it out side to play. I guess that worked pretty well because I don't remember trying to wake my parents up at ungodly hours after that.
Of course the problem with this scenario was that I had a couple of hours of total freedom from parental supervision in the early hours of the day and that meant that I was able to get into various amounts of trouble. I'll save those stories for later.

5 comments:

ShackelMom said...

I remember being 'stared awake' by Ariana... funny to open my eyes and find myself looking at a sideways view (from my horizontal position) of a little face two inches from mine!

Looking forward to more stories!

Daniel Shackelford said...

When I had a crazy work schedule early in our family building phase, Ariana would get up soon after I went to bed, but before Mom would wake up. We ended up with a baby gate, and a cup of cheerios and a sippy cup in the morning to make sure she did not need Mom so early. She sometimes still got into mischief...

I am looking forward to more!

Unknown said...

A great idea and really fun! I can think of some we would like to see written up. And we still have a video production of Erin and Jonnalyn and one of the Purcell girls in a half-dozen scenarios. You sent it over for Ariana's birthday many years ago.

Nathan said...

I love that waking up by being breathed upon. Simon does something like that now, as our early bird. We also gave him permission to get his breakfast and turn on the tv, to allows us to sleep once in a while. These are great.

Natalie said...

a little baggy - that is so cute!