Monday, July 16, 2007

Cockroach Soup

-Gretchen-

Heidi and I were remembering some of the funny things about our childhood a couple of nights ago and we couldn't stop laughing over some of the things that we considered "normal".
We grew up in an old slightly drafty house in uptown Whittier and along with the charm and history came..... cockroaches. It gives me the creeps just remembering what we all put up with for the early years of my life. Eventually my dad started spraying poison around the foundation and retaining walls and that ended the problem completely.
One of the solutions my mom came up with was placing empty peanut butter jars strategically around the outside of the house. The cockroaches would crawl in for the leftovers and couldn't get back out. I remember one Saturday we decided to try to play a trick on some neighborhood boys who we didn't like. We thought that maybe we could make some cockroach soup for them and by some crazy chance they might think that it looked good and they would eat it! Ha Ha the joke would be on them alright!! We spent a lot of time on trying to make it look good. We put water in it and twigs and leaves and some mud.... YUMMY who could resist that scrumptious concoction? Well, I don't remember what happened with it. I'm sure it didn't make it's way to the neighborhood boys but the process was sure fun!

4 comments:

ShackelMom said...

What is it about women and poison? I remember cooking up something I planned to feed the mean boys up the street: water, ashes, rose thorns, grass, dirt and the tabacco from several cigarette butts. Hi guys, want a snack?

Daniel Shackelford said...

As I recall, before I understood the las cucarachas were to be avoided, Nathan and I went down to the corner where the big Victorian house was and collected a big paper bag full as they crawled out of the cracks of the big brick retaining wall one night. I thought they smelled good, a little like maple. I grew up thinking that one inch cucarachas were the norm.

Gretchen said...

Daniel, that is really funny. They are soooooo gross. I shudder even thinking about "collecting" them! blechhh.

Natalie said...

I love the excitement! "Ya, let's put some twigs in there to cover it up!"