Friday, October 26, 2007

Trash Bag Travesties

I bought Anders a Halloween costume today. This is a big deal for me because growing up it was drilled into us that "you can make ANYTHING from a trash bag".... and we did. I remember one memorable and embarrassing Thanksgiving party that our home school group was putting on. We (my mom and sisters and I) needed to dress up like Indians (native Americans). Of course at the last minute my mom cut some holes in some trash bags and threw them over our heads to try and pass as a..... deer hide, beaded, squaw outfit? Anyways there is a picture somewhere of me sitting at a long Thanksgiving table with a messy mullet, an 80's collared shirt with a trash bag sitting haphazardly over my outfit. I remember being pretty sure that it didn't quite pass as an Indian dress and feeling a bit silly.

At some point we did get a big suitcase with various costumes that were handed down, hand made or found at thrift stores. That solved some Halloween dilemmas and we had a blast with those fun creations.
I never will forget those trash bag travesties so this Halloween I went to Wal-Mart and spent 10$ on a very cute and respectable pumpkin costume for Anders. One thing is for sure, we'll get some good pictures and there will be no possibility of suffocation.

2 comments:

Daniel Shackelford said...

*Ahem* Maybe it is my slight dyslexia, but I read through most of the post before realizing that the title was "Trash bag travesties" and not "Trash bag transvestites". My apologies.

Oh, and I remember several of those events where the costume d'jour was constructed from either black plastic trash bags or paper ones. I believe there are some pictures of at least one Christmas pageant with such attire (black bags for shepherds, white ones for angels)...

ShackelMom said...

Yes, I remember those clever, money saving costumes! I am sure I did a few of those at our house because my sister and I swapped ideas, but I can't really remember... I remember the other costumes we came up with.